Dental Implants in Walnut Creek
Most of the time, people who suffer from dental issues have difficulties talking and eating. As such, they may need certain items to help them along the way. One of these items are dental implants. These are usually common for those who need permanent replacement teeth.
What is a dental implant?
The dentist needs something where the replacement teeth can be mounted on. In this case, he will place metal post frames on the jawbone of the patient, specifically beneath the gumline. These metal frames are called dental implants. Getting a dental implant requires surgery. A dental implant is a long-term option for those who need artificial teeth.
Qualifications for getting a dental implant
Not all individuals who need artificial teeth may go through a dental implant. There are certain qualifications for a person to do so. Here are three of the basic qualifications.
1. You should be generally healthy overall.
2. You should have healthy gums.
3. You should have enough jawbone to support the implants.
Your dentist will eventually check further whether you are qualified to have dental implants or not.
What to expect from the procedure?
You have to understand that getting a dental implant does not end in one day. There is a certain procedure that you need to follow. Here is an overview of such procedure.
1. The dentist will examine your whole teeth. The examination may include molds for the teeth as well as X-rays.
2. He will, then, design a treatment plan that is specific for your situation. Dental treatment plans often vary, depending on what the patient is currently suffering from.
3. The surgical procedure proper may vary in number, depending on how many implants are needed to be placed.
4. You will be given instructions on how you should be taking care of your implants.
All in all, the process may take several months to complete.
The useful life of dental implants
If you take good care of your implants, then, it may be able to last for a long time. You need to make sure that you observe good dental hygiene. It will also be good to have your teeth professionally cleaned from time to time. Most importantly, you should regularly visit your dentist for monitoring purposes.
To learn more about dental implants in Walnut Creek, feel free to give our office a call at (925) 937-9017.